Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostic & Analysis System > MaxiDas > i have a maxidas ds708 that is currently...
i have a maxidas ds708 that is currently in need of an upadate. My question is should it stop reading all vehicles once it needs updating?

4486 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: 2018-07-15 00:29:25

•   Level 2   
    (13) points
    protune
    2017-02-04 12:53:46
     i have a maxidas ds708 that is currently in need of an upadate. My question is should it stop reading all vehicles once it needs updating?

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2017-02-07 04:16:55 (Reply to:protune)

Absolutely not. The software is  not supposed to time out from working after your update is expired. That is why you were supposed to create working backup software while you were still within your free update period, and never let your DS708 connect to Autel's server again within 30 days of your expiration and definitely not afterwards lest something might become corrupted . Avoid touching the update tab on the DS708 and maybe turn off it's WIFI. You never know if Microsoft could even kill a DS708s with a Windows CE security patch, you just don't take chances. If you haven't updated since 2014 , some makes have added coverage for 2015 and 2016 cars but overall I really don't think there has been anything new added to  DS708 software in over a year  and nothing more likely is ever going to be upgraded anymore before December 2017 when you can no longer download the software at the present levels that  it is likely to remain at .  

•   Level 2   
    (11) points
    Mehtamotors

2017-02-08 17:23:38 (Reply to:witsend)

So is the 708 no longer supported for software updates? I'm trying to purchase another 1 year software license but trying to get any info on that process is like pulling teeth. I see they are still selling it so I don't see why I cant just purchase the update on this site and be done with it.

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2017-02-09 02:14:15 (Reply to:Mehtamotors)

Best I can tell from a cookie cutter type reply from support,  is if your tool has old coverage from back in 2014 you are still able to buy an update from your dealer which should give it some added 2015 and 2016 cars coverage. As far as I am able to tell reading the forum,  there has been no new recent major updates to any  car makes coverage on the DS708 in probably a year and likely be no more added coverage than what it already had at the end of 2015 or early 2016. The coverage from a year ago is what you will likely get now and likely still get 10 months from now after software update support ends.
      There are still unsold DS 708 that still need this final updating and  people that never made back up software cards, or cards got  lost or corrupted don't have any choice other than to buy the final update to get their tool working again.
       If your tool works now with some makes with 2015 and 2016 coverage I doubt any makes will see 2017 or 2018 car coverage added to the DS 708 before the final DS708 software update support  is turned off at the end of December this year for good.
      Here is a link that you can check what the latest software version  levels are for different platforms including Maxidas. Since mid 2014 almost 3 years  Chrysler version number on Maxidas went up a MicroFart 0.01 from Version 7.10 to 7.11 and Ford software version number only went up a Mini Fart 0.13 from Version 9.00 to 9.13. I do see GM went up an entire whole number though, but until I see all the major makes software version number increase by an entire whole number I just don't believe the updates are adding much more new car  coverage, and might have actually been court ordered BS tweaks  to the older software? , possible  gradually dumbing down of former Flagship Maxidas functionality to call it's coding ability minimal in a comparison chart next to maxisys, LOL .I don't know, it's sad that  Support is never here to answer questions so it almost seems to me that they are intentionally running Autel company into the ground pulling support from user forum.
         http://www.autelscanner.com/vehiclecoverage.jsp

•   Level 2   
    (11) points
    WingMantis

2017-04-14 19:14:05 (Reply to:witsend)

When did they start removing functionality? Is there a list of what was lost?

Would a back up of the SD card on a brand new system that had older, full featured software let you go back after updating? 

Or does the firmware update lockout software functions no matter what is on the SD card?

Thanks, trying to decide if it is worth getting one of these or not.

•   Level 3   
    (98) points
    CHRIS

2017-05-17 16:35:34 (Reply to:WingMantis)

Just do not update or hook to wi fi ever!! and you might be able to use it !!

•   Level 1   
    (3) points
    AACarhunters

2018-07-15 00:29:25 (Reply to:witsend)

Witsend, I guess I fall into the category of folks that don't have a backup and need the last update.  How can i go about getting one?  I've left a message for the USAsupport email, but not really holding my breath about hearing back.  
  Total1 Pages